Definition of typology in English:
noun (plural typologies)
1A classification according to general type, especially in archaeology, psychology, or the social sciences: a typology of Saxon cremation vessels
More example sentences
- Pavlov and his colleagues made life-long efforts to blend both behavioural and psychophysiological observations into typologies.
- The important thing to recognize is that because typologies and resultant classification schema are imposed on the data set, their validity can only be determined by their usefulness.
- Classification schemes or typologies that use acculturation and indicators of family functioning may prove to be useful screening mechanisms for guiding prenatal care intervention strategies.
1.1 [mass noun] Study or analysis using a classification according to a general type.
- Building on the work of Feagin, Phinney and Chavira formulated an empirically derived typology of ethnic minority adolescents' responses to racial discrimination.
- Initially his analysis was done on the basis of artefact typology.
- In Dr. Budd's typology, the ‘Science’ of yesteryear has been relegated to the category of ‘Sentiment.’
2 [mass noun] The study and interpretation of types and symbols, originally especially in the Bible.
- Worship now, Jesus says, is in spirit and truth, the internals of motive, intensity, and sincerity replacing the external symbols and typology that previously existed.
- He used typology and symbols in the furnishings of the tabernacle, the 7 feast days, as well as people.
- Above all, this question can no longer be interpreted through typology.
- Example sentences
- Yet there is no consensus on the presence of Clovis bifaces in the Midwest or their typological affinities to Gainey bifaces.
- To the extent that we continue to use continental-scale fluted-biface compilations, we also must control for typological differences among primary sources and the different numbers of bifaces that they yield.
- This brief 8-item questionnaire has been validated by applying a method for distinguishing typological from dimensional constructs (taxometric analysis).
- 2typologist noun
- Example sentences
- Led by the school's antebellum dean, the prominent physician and racial typologist Josiah Nott, white people fought tenaciously to have the school restored to its prewar status.
- These people are typologists, and for them every member of a race has all the actual and imaginary characteristics of that race.
- The thing I cannot understand is how American typologists arrived at the belief in his extraversion.
Definition of typology in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.