Definition of umbra in English:
noun (plural umbras or umbrae ˈʌmbriː)
1The fully shaded inner region of a shadow cast by an opaque object, especially the area on the earth or moon experiencing the total phase of an eclipse. Compare with penumbra.
- When the Moon is fully immersed in the umbra a total lunar eclipse occurs.
- If the Moon completely enters the umbra, a total lunar eclipse occurs.
- The Moon can then pass through a part of the umbra (region of total shadow) and then there is a partial eclipse.
1.1 Astronomy The dark central part of a sunspot.
- Each sunspot consists of a dark central umbra, which is estimated to have a temperature in the region of 4000°C, and a surrounding penumbra, at a temperature in the region 5000°C.
- The darkest, central region of a sunspot, called the umbra, features tightly bundled magnetic field lines.
- When viewed through a telescope, sunspots have a dark central region known as the umbra, surrounded by a somewhat lighter region called the penumbra.
2 [mass noun] literary Shadow or darkness: an impenetrable umbra seemed to fill every inch of the museum
More example sentences
- Outlined against the setting sun, the silhouette took on a strangely surreal beauty, as if a shadow's penumbra and umbra were fused together.
- Not once did she ask if he knew where they were going; and now, with a nettle laced gully yawning out past any shadowed umbra before them, that suddenly appeared very naive.
- How about cleverly distracting from under-eye umbra with some beauty department illusions?
Late 16th century (denoting a phantom or ghost): from Latin, literally 'shade'.
- Example sentences
- Further to the east and the west the observers are a few thousand miles more distant, putting them beyond the vertex of the umbral cone, so that they witness only an annular eclipse.
- The event is a moderate partial eclipse with the Moon's northern limb dipping 15 arc-minutes into Earth's umbral shadow.
- The Moon's trajectory takes it deep into the northern umbral shadow resulting in a total eclipse which lasts 1 hour 21 minutes.
Words that rhyme with umbrapenumbra
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan