1 another term for stone pine.
- Carter is a great believer in the Italian cypress (Cupressus sempervirens stricta), found all over Tuscany, and the umbrella pine, its constant companion.
- The vegetation, especially the characteristic umbrella pine set before the beautiful bay, indelibly marks the Mediterranean location.
- A beautiful umbrella pine is silhouetted against a yellow sky, and the bay indicates human presence with several jetties.
2A tall Japanese evergreen conifer related to the redwoods, with leaves growing in umbrella-like whorls.
- Sciadopitys verticillata, family Taxodiaceae.
- By the later first century AD, many farmsteads were cultivating coriander and opium poppies, and trees such as cherry, plum, and perhaps umbrella pine were grown.
- The town has two great woods of umbrella pines which give welcome shade at midday.
- Japanese umbrella pine is a living relic predating the age of the dinosaurs.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: um|brella pine
Definition of umbrella pine in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.