Either of two small trees or shrubs with leaves or leaflets arranged in umbrella-like whorls:
- ● An Australian plant which is grown elsewhere as a houseplant (Schefflera actinophylla, family Araliaceae). ● A North American magnolia (Magnolia tripetala, family Magnoliaceae).
More example sentences
- Tulip tree, American beech, sugar maple, umbrella tree, and cucumber tree dominate here.
- The poster-calendar features 24 of the most harmful environmental weeds, including wandering jew, camphor laurel, orange jessamine, umbrella tree, asparagus fern and morning glory.
- Moist woodland on the lower mountain slopes and extending down to streams that meander in the valleys contains tulip poplar, sweet gum, and umbrella tree (a magnolia).
Definition of umbrella tree in:
- The US English dictionary