Definition of unassuming in English:
Not pretentious or arrogant; modest: he was an unassuming and kindly man
More example sentences
- I have to say that he was a thoroughly nice bloke, genuinely modest and unassuming.
- Her modest and unassuming manner is admirable and in a way is one of the reasons why the volunteers go out of their way to help.
- As for Ken Morrison, I have twice fleetingly met him and found him to be a modest and unassuming person.
modest, self-effacing, humble, meek, mild, retiring, demure, restrained, reserved, withdrawn, reticent, diffident, shy, bashful, timid, timorous, shrinking, unconfident, insecure, unassertive;
unobtrusive, unostentatious, unpretentious, unaffected, natural, genuine, simple, artless, ingenuous
- Example sentences
- He supported from a distance as he built a successful career, but in recent years he has emerged, quietly and unassumingly, as the biggest benefactor in the club's history.
- You felt that it was him that quietly and unassumingly kept things together as both Pete Townsend and Roger Daltry seemed quite volatile characters.
- Having forced herself never to ask for help, let alone admit to needing it, Beck was awed when help repeatedly was offered to her, quietly and unassumingly.
- Example sentences
- This stood out: for its idiosyncrasy and scrupulousness, for its thoughtful rebellion against unthinking unassumingness.
- Cornelius slightly raises his brows and makes his son a little bow - indicative of the unassumingness and self-abnegation that befits his age.
- The Puffy Chair would never presume so much, and it's in that unassumingness that this little charmer wins your heart, even as it's breaking it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan