Definition of unattributed in English:
(Of a quotation, story, or work of art) not ascribed to any source; of unknown or unpublished provenance: some of the funniest quotations are unattributed the information is not for use even on an unattributed basis most of the music is unattributed, having been passed down for centuries
More example sentences
- Wallace has done his editing carefully, verifying the texts, dating the documents, explaining allusions, and seeking (often unsuccessfully) the sources of unattributed quotations.
- She varies the size of the typeface; alternates between objective and intimate and rhapsodic registers; leaps between topics; and interweaves unattributed quotations.
- After the establishment of lectern Bibles in all churches in 1538 and then the publication of the AV in 1611, the Bible was so well known that even unattributed quotations and allusions were instantly recognized.
- Example sentences
- When Pope-Hennessy examined it in 1971, he reported that ‘the paint surface was largely new and the work unattributable.’
- There is a very common sense of anger directed at what has been a period of unattributable briefing and anonymous comments being retailed through the press about the leader.
- Moloney, a highly respected journalist first with the ‘Irish Times’ and later with the ‘Sunday Tribune’, relies to a large extent on unattributable testimonies from Republican volunteers.
- Example sentences
- I presume there are opportunities for engaging in debate on Islamist websites, unattributably.
- Some of the figures Computer Weekly journalists have been given unattributably are truly frightening.
- We would prefer such reactions to be given to the House rather than unattributably to the Press.
Words that rhyme with unattributedundistributed
Definition of unattributed in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.