Definition of unbending in English:
Reserved, formal, or strict in one’s behaviour or attitudes; austere and inflexible: he was so unbending and uncompromising his output is prodigious and springs from the unbending control he exercises over every aspect of his life
More example sentences
- One of these unbending attitudes is related to language.
- How do people develop such a ghastly attitude, such an unbending devotion to rules?
- Pyongyang's unbending attitude only makes it even more difficult to resolve the dispute through peaceful means.
aloof, formal, stiff, reserved, remote, distant, forbidding, stand-offish, strait-laced, conventional, stuffy, cool, unfeeling, unemotional, unfriendly, austere
uncompromising, inflexible, unyielding, unfaltering, unwavering, hard-line, tough, harsh, strict, stern, severe, firm, resolute, determined, unrelenting, relentless, inexorable, intransigent, immovable
- 1unbendingly adverb
- Example sentences
- Sheikh Hilal was unbendingly proud of his nomadic way of life.
- The Japanese malaise is self-inflicted; guided by spurious notions and doctrines Japanese politicians unbendingly and doggedly pursue baneful policies.
- Not even the unbendingly tolerant Swedes would put up with the primeministerial girlfriend being taken on state visits.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.