1Not able to be relied on; not known or definite: an uncertain future
More example sentences
- They were released on bail following a public outcry but still faced an uncertain future.
- However, the future still looks uncertain as he has no money for higher education.
- Now the future is uncertain for the restored Victorian warehouse with floors the size of a football pitch.
unknown, undetermined, unsettled, unresolved, unsure, pending, in the balance, in limbo, up in the air, debatable, open to question, in doubt;
unpredictable, unforeseeable, incalculable, speculative;
unreliable, untrustworthy, undependable, risky, chancy
informal dicey, hairy, iffy
British informal dodgy
changeable, variable, varying, irregular, fitful, unpredictable, unreliable, unsettled, unstable, erratic, fluctuating
rare changeful, fluctuant
1.1(Of a person) not completely confident or sure of something: I was uncertain how to proceed
More example sentences
- If people are uncertain as to who they are uniting against, they seem even less sure of what they are standing up for.
- There were lots of times when people were very uncertain about the situation there.
- Frances was uncertain how younger students would view her, but soon made her mark.
unsure, doubtful, dubious, undecided, unresolved, indecisive, irresolute, hesitant, wavering, vacillating, oscillating, equivocating, vague, hazy, unclear, ambivalent, in two minds, on the horns of a dilemma, torn
informal iffy, blowing hot and cold, on the fence
hesitant, hesitating, tentative, halting, faltering, unsure, unconfident, diffident, doubtful
in no uncertain terms
- Clearly and forcefully: she has already refused me, in no uncertain termsMore example sentences
- Grampian Police has a booklet on how to pass its tests in which it spells out the need for police officers to be fit in no uncertain terms.
- That's how we started, in fact, making speeches laying out what we wanted in no uncertain terms.
- That has meant telling trade groups and industry lobbies in no uncertain terms not to hire Democrats.
Words that rhyme with uncertainburton, curtain
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|cer¦tain
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.