- 1Not able to be relied on; not known or definite: an uncertain futureMore example sentences
unknown, undetermined, unsettled, unresolved, unsure, pending, in the balance, in limbo, up in the air, debatable, open to question, in doubt; unpredictable, unforeseeable, incalculable, speculative; unreliable, untrustworthy, undependable, risky, chancyBritish • informal dodgychangeable, variable, varying, irregular, fitful, unpredictable, unreliable, unsettled, unstable, erratic, fluctuating
- They were released on bail following a public outcry but still faced an uncertain future.
- However, the future still looks uncertain as he has no money for higher education.
- Now the future is uncertain for the restored Victorian warehouse with floors the size of a football pitch.
- 1.1(Of a person) not completely confident or sure of something: I was uncertain how to proceedMore example sentences
unsure, doubtful, dubious, undecided, unresolved, indecisive, irresolute, hesitant, wavering, vacillating, oscillating, equivocating, vague, hazy, unclear, ambivalent, in two minds, on the horns of a dilemma, torn• informal iffy, blowing hot and cold, on the fencehesitant, hesitating, tentative, halting, faltering, unsure, unconfident, diffident, doubtful
- If people are uncertain as to who they are uniting against, they seem even less sure of what they are standing up for.
- There were lots of times when people were very uncertain about the situation there.
- Frances was uncertain how younger students would view her, but soon made her mark.
in no uncertain terms
- Clearly and forcefully: she has already refused me, in no uncertain termsMore example sentences
- Grampian Police has a booklet on how to pass its tests in which it spells out the need for police officers to be fit in no uncertain terms.
- That's how we started, in fact, making speeches laying out what we wanted in no uncertain terms.
- That has meant telling trade groups and industry lobbies in no uncertain terms not to hire Democrats.
- More example sentences
- Extras glance uncertainly at the camera, and at one stage a bewigged gentleman, bent double, is seen scampering out of shot.
- I ride into this particular battle mounted uncertainly on the fence.
- The punch dropped the Scot to the canvas and when he rose to try to beat the count, he could only stumble uncertainly towards his corner.