Definition of uncomfortable in English:
1Causing or feeling slight pain or physical discomfort: his hard, uncomfortable bed
More example sentences
- She could laugh and smile at things she enjoyed and cry if uncomfortable or in pain but could do little to help herself.
- The last camp is cut into a rockface and is supplied with an Islamic library and three uncomfortable beds.
- I was waiting on an uncomfortable plastic chair to be seen by a nurse.
1.1Causing or feeling unease or awkwardness: he began to feel uncomfortable at the man’s hard stare an uncomfortable silence
More example sentences
- Such a request would also represent a recognition of an uncomfortable fact.
- Conditions get slightly uncomfortable and all politeness flies out the window.
- It is, to say the least, uncomfortable seeing such pain inflicted on an innocent man.
uneasy, awkward, ill at ease, nervous, tense, edgy, restless, self-conscious, embarrassed, discomfited, disturbed, troubled, upset, worried, anxious, apprehensive
British informal stressy
North American informal antsy
awkward, uneasy, unpleasant, disagreeable, distressing, painful, disturbing, embarrassing, embarrassed, tense, strained, charged, worrisome, fraught
- Example sentences
- There's something hugely satisfying in my new ability to stand silent for five minutes looking at menus without being compelled to order food by the previous uncomfortableness of such silences.
- I honestly don't know what kept me from falling asleep, although it might have something to do with the overwhelming uncomfortableness of the chair I was sitting on.
- I didn't cough or splutter… in fact, I felt no awkwardness or uncomfortableness that I thought I might, and so I did it again.
- [as submodifier]: the house was dark and uncomfortably coldMore example sentences
- As far as I'm concerned, Condon was one hell of a writer, though his vision was uncomfortably dark at times.
- The Stone Temple offered a meager dance floor which felt uncomfortably crowded.
- It seems the whole global capitalist edifice lies rather uncomfortably on the shoulders of the humble shopper.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan