- 1Having started and in progress; being done or carried out: recruitment is well under wayMore example sentences
- It feels great to get under a hot shower and snuggle in my cozy cabin as the large vessel gets underway.
- There were no guard rails, so working on the decks while underway must have been hazardous.
- 2(Of a boat) moving through the water: no time was lost in getting under wayMore example sentences
- The project is already underway, with work due to be completed by early next year.
- The public consultation exercise on the new plans is already underway and carries on until November.
- Full details of the project will emerge during the design process which is now underway.
mid 18th century (as a nautical term): from Dutch onderweg.
More definitions of under wayDefinition of under way in:
- The US English dictionary