Definition of underwing in English:
1The hindwing of an insect, especially when it is normally hidden by a forewing.
- The butterflies have tiger striped underwings and little black tails on their back wings.
- At last they find a huge moth with ‘great underwings of glowing crimson.’
2The underside of a bird’s wing.
- They note that white plumage seen on the bird's back doesn't match the pattern of a pileated woodpecker, nor does the absence of black trailing edges on the underwings of the bird in the video.
- The body coloration is typical of gull plumage from above, but both breeding and non-breeding adults have dark underwings with pale wingtips, which are distinctive in flight.
- In flight, the long, wedge-shaped tail and prominent white trailing edge of the wing are evident; the underwing usually appears darker than the upperwing.
Definition of underwing in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.