adjective (unhappier, unhappiest)
- 1Not happy: an unhappy marriageMore example sentences
sad, miserable, sorrowful, dejected, despondent, disconsolate, morose, regretful, broken-hearted, heartbroken, down, downcast, dispirited, downhearted, heavy-hearted, crestfallen, depressed, melancholy, blue, gloomy, glum, mournful, despairing, doleful, forlorn, woebegone, woeful, tearful, long-faced, joyless, cheerless, out of sorts• rare lachrymose
- Bibliotherapy is making a lot of people rich, but it is making unhappy people happier?
- I have been fortunate enough to have had more happy hours than unhappy ones.
- The only difference is that at Christmas we are more aware of how happy or unhappy we are.
- 1.1 (unhappy at/about/with) Not satisfied or pleased with (a situation): many were unhappy about the scale of the cutsMore example sentences
- Local activists are very, very unhappy at the way his situation has been handled.
- The teachers were unhappy about the situation and shared the unease of parents in relation to the matter.
- It's not that I'm unhappy about the situation, but it does feel a wee bit overwhelming sometimes.