1 Christian Theology A person who believes that all humankind will eventually be saved.
- Ultimately he is a universalist who believes that all souls will be reconciled to God, including the souls of Satan and his minions.
- Quakers range right across from very Christo-centric friends, right through to what we call universalists.
- I see no reason, then, for ranking Paul among the universalists.
2A person advocating loyalty to and concern for others without regard to national or other allegiances: [as modifier]: it is a policy founded on universalist principles
More example sentences
- Was he a nationalist rather than a universalist?
- There was a time, of course, when most progressives were universalists.
- I am with the universalist liberals on both counts, with reservations.
1 Christian Theology Relating to universalists.
- I think it clearly is a universalist faith in the sense that everybody, no matter what race, religion or creed, has a potential for being true sons and daughters of the eternal.
- Today's readings share an unmistakably universalist thrust, extending God's good news of salvation beyond insiders.
- I got the impression he was coming from a universalist background, but he could have been talking about predestination.
2Universal in scope or character.
- In effect they are denying the universalist character of Buddhism are returning it to the particularistic mould of ethnic religion in contravention of the clear injunctions of the Buddha.
- But it is an interpretation, distinct from the universalist interpretation of the verse that you are probably more familiar with, and it explains why you missed it in the listing.
- To compare their republic's democratic idealism to Rome, with its conquering legions, subjugation of peoples and universalist claims to law and order ignites a simmering anger.
- Example sentences
- Social scientists have inquired into whether the religious and societal notions of behavior in different societies confirm or come in conflict with the secular and universalistic approach to human rights.
- As he writes, ‘the level of knowledge and understanding of God's Word corresponds to each stage of the history of the people of God’ and Christ and his universalistic message is the key for a Christian reading of the Bible.
- But the major Anglo-American political philosophers have mostly been either Kantians or utilitarians - the two schools of ethics that are most universalistic and promise to be able to do the most by way of argument.
Definition of universalist in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.