1Not attempting to impress others with an appearance of greater importance, talent, or culture than is actually possessed: a friendly and unpretentious hotel in spite of his fame he was thoroughly unpretentious
More example sentences
- This unpretentious book does not attempt to be more than it is - an easy, enjoyable account of a life well lived.
- One lesson he has learnt from his family's wine business is the importance of the unpretentious Two Paddocks name.
- Most importantly, Goin's unpretentious philosophy is reflected in the food she serves at Lucques.
1.1(Of a place) pleasantly simple and functional; modest.
- Welcome to Wine Country Yacht Charters, Napa County's most unpretentious place to relax and drink wine.
- It's a happy, noisy, unpretentious place to eat, where you'll feel equally at home with your mates from uni or your mum and dad on a family night out.
- Winner was also impressed with the unpretentious surroundings and the friendly atmosphere.
- Example sentences
- And whether people came here for comfort, memories or merely to witness what, with remarkable near-timing, proves quietly and unpretentiously to be one of the best line-ups all year, they've long since discovered that they've found it.
- Judge Andrew Smith said: ‘Packed with news, logically and unpretentiously presented, this is a paper that is a pleasure to read.’
- This land is not a marvel for its beauty, but for its endurance, for its ability to persist and support its residents; although littered and disheveled, it is unpretentiously alive.
- Example sentences
- He endeared himself to all of them by his utter sincerity and unpretentiousness, his extreme modesty, his engaging humour…, his faithfulness…
- Although people of various body types identify as bears (the moniker refers to their more-than-passing resemblance to the hirsute forest dwellers), they're all connected by a shared attitude of unpretentiousness and brotherhood.
- There are also qualities about the sport, like unselfishness and unpretentiousness, that distinguish it from flashier rivals’.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|pre¦ten¦tious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.