1(Of organic molecules) having carbon-carbon double or triple bonds and therefore not containing the greatest possible number of hydrogen atoms.
- In common with all unsaturated hydrocarbons hydrogen can be added across the double bond to produce ethane.
- Thus conjugation can occur in molecules in which the unsaturated sites are close in space but are separated by more than a single covalent bond.
- The unsaturated benzene ring readily reacts with halogens, rapidly discoloring bromine water.
1.1Denoting fats containing a high proportion of fatty acid molecules with at least one double bond, considered to be healthier in the diet than saturated fats.
- The vitamin E requirement has long been known to increase with increased intakes of unsaturated fats.
- Most of the fat in peanuts is unsaturated which has been shown to lower one's LDL-cholesterol levels.
- There are two basic kinds of fat: saturated and unsaturated.
- Example sentences
- The color of a dye is due to its ability to absorb light in the visible region of the spectrum, an ability enhanced by unsaturation (presence of double bonds in the molecule) and resonance.
- The current work shows that lipid asymmetry and unsaturation both result in high critical pressures in monolayers.
- Qualitative changes in the levels of fatty acids also occur with cold acclimation, leading to unsaturation of the fatty acids and subsequent protection of plant membranes against freezing stress.
Definition of unsaturated in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.