Definition of untruthful in English:
Saying or consisting of something that is false or incorrect: companies issuing untruthful recruitment brochures
More example sentences
- The defendants applied to the court to vary the order relying on the false documents and untruthful affidavits.
- He questioned the motivation behind what he portrayed as ‘misleading and untruthful allegations’.
- A victim said he was shocked and appalled that anyone could make such an unfounded and untruthful remark.
fictitious, fabulous, mythical, mythological
humorous economical with the truth
lying, mendacious, perfidious, dishonest, deceitful, deceiving, deceptive, duplicitous, dissimulating, dissembling, false, double-dealing, two-faced, Janus-faced, guileful, underhand, sneaky, disingenuous
informal crooked, bent, tricky
- Example sentences
- Parking attendants often continue issuing the ticket after the vehicle has left the scene and then untruthfully write in their logbook that the ticket was FTW (fixed to windscreen) or GTD (given to driver).
- ‘It hadn't crossed my mind,’ I replied untruthfully, with my toes crossed.
- Women can of course decline to answer the question or answer it untruthfully.
- Example sentences
- Surely it is the untruthfulness of the allegation being championed by the BBC which continues to provoke what looks like an understandable reaction among members of the government and its sympathisers.
- Honesty and sincerity to ourselves is the decoding agent that unscrambles the web of illusion created by our untruthfulness.
- The reporter must have forgotten those common sense soldiers on the HMS Ark Royal who turned off the BBC in disgust at its bias and untruthfulness.
Pronunciation: /ʌnˈtruːθfʊli/ /ʌnˈtruːθf(ə)li/adverb
Pronunciation: /ʌnˈtruːθfʊlnəs/ /ʌnˈtruːθf(ə)lnəs/noun
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan