1Not habitually or commonly occurring or done: the government has taken the unusual step of calling home its ambassador it was unusual for Dennis to be late
More example sentences
- It might sound arrogant to those of a secular persuasion but it is not unusual.
- It is not unusual for places to be catapulted to stardom thanks to the medium of TV or cinema.
- Clearly, this is a river bank and it is not unusual to see rats on a river bank.
uncommon, abnormal, atypical, unexpected, surprising, unfamiliar, unwonted, different;
strange, odd, curious, out of the ordinary, extraordinary, out of the way, unorthodox, uncustomary, unconventional, outlandish, offbeat, off-centre, deviant, novel, singular, peculiar, queer, bizarre, freakish, quirky, alien;
rare, scarce, few and far between, thin on the ground, exceptional, isolated, occasional, infrequent, irregular, sporadic;
British out of the common
informal weird, oddball, way out, freaky, something else
North American informal off the wall
1.1Remarkable or interesting because different from or better than others: a man of unusual talent
More example sentences
- We'd also be interested to know of any other sporting stars with unusual middle names.
- Now the speculation has begun about what led the proud parents to choose such an unusual name.
- He said my surname was an unusual name and did I know my ancestors had invented the Biro pen.
remarkable, extraordinary, exceptional, singular, particular, marked, outstanding, notable, noteworthy, distinctive, striking, significant, especial, special, signal, superior, unique, unparalleled, unprecedented, prodigious
informal mind-boggling, mind-blowing
- Example sentences
- He could not assume that a reader or critic would grasp the unusualness and special, idiosyncratic effect of his verse merely by observing the words on the page.
- I remarked on the unusualness of the hour when they were coming to effect an arrest but I complied, and off we went.
- I'm not an ecology expert, but I do know that what's most striking about them is their unusualness.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: un|usual
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.