Definition of unwomanly in English:
Not having or showing qualities traditionally associated with women: initiative of any overt sort was considered unwomanly
More example sentences
- He uses contemporaneous notions of gender as a way of naturalizing positive and negative character qualities as manly or unmanly, womanly or unwomanly.
- He thought it was such an unwomanly, tomboy thing.
- So you are only criticizing women when they do unwomanly things.
- Example sentences
- She is to be seen standing on her tub shouting with the best; and as little abashed by the unwomanliness of her ‘environment’ as are her more mischievous compeers on the political stump.
- Sooner than such an inversion of social order, I would welcome even Turkish bondage; for surely utter ignorance is infinitely preferable to erudite unwomanliness.
- He was touched by the simple self-respect that would not let her suffer from what was not wrong in itself, but that made her shrink from a voluntary semblance of unwomanliness.
Definition of unwomanly in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan