Not having or showing qualities traditionally associated with women: initiative of any overt sort was considered unwomanly
More example sentences
- He uses contemporaneous notions of gender as a way of naturalizing positive and negative character qualities as manly or unmanly, womanly or unwomanly.
- He thought it was such an unwomanly, tomboy thing.
- So you are only criticizing women when they do unwomanly things.
- More example sentences
- She is to be seen standing on her tub shouting with the best; and as little abashed by the unwomanliness of her ‘environment’ as are her more mischievous compeers on the political stump.
- Sooner than such an inversion of social order, I would welcome even Turkish bondage; for surely utter ignorance is infinitely preferable to erudite unwomanliness.
- He was touched by the simple self-respect that would not let her suffer from what was not wrong in itself, but that made her shrink from a voluntary semblance of unwomanliness.
More definitions of unwomanlyDefinition of unwomanly in:
- The US English dictionary