Definition of uraemia in English:
noun[mass noun] Medicine
A raised level in the blood of urea and other nitrogenous waste compounds that are normally eliminated by the kidneys.
- Did he have diabetes, ascites, uraemia, anasarca, or heart failure?
- If the kidneys fail, one of the first signs is the accumulation of urea and other nitrogenous waste in the blood - uraemia.
- Additional cardiac risk factors specific to chronic kidney disease include volume overload, hyperparathyroidism, and uremia.
- Example sentences
- These organisms have also been found to be involved in wound infections, haemolytic uremic syndrome, meningitis, peritonitis, respiratory tract infections and ocular infections.
- Food poisoning can lead to Guillain-Barre Syndrome, reactive arthritis, or hemolytic uremic syndrome - diseases that can leave their victims with chronic pain, paralysis, and kidney damage.
- In children, especially, this E. coli variant can cause diarrhea, hemorrhagic colitis, and hemolytic uremic syndrome.
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek ouron 'urine' + haima 'blood'.
Words that rhyme with uraemiaacademia, anaemia (US anemia), Bohemia, Euphemia, hypoglycaemia, leukaemia (US leukemia), septicaemia (US septicemia)
Definition of uraemia in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.