noun (plural uraei /jʊˈriːʌɪ/)
- A representation of a sacred serpent as an emblem of supreme power, worn on the headdresses of ancient Egyptian deities and sovereigns.More example sentences
- On the forehead of the mask are a royal uraeus and a vulture's head, symbols of the two tutelary deities of Lower and Upper Egypt: Wadjet and Nekhbet.
- Astarte recognized the uraeus, the vulture of Upper Egypt, and knowing the stranger at her door was Auset, bade the servant to make her welcome.
- This was the species represented in the Egyptian symbol of royalty, the uraeus, and is the one still employed by snake charmers throughout North Africa.
mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek ouraios, representing the Egyptian word for 'cobra'.
More definitions of uraeusDefinition of uraeus in:
- The US English dictionary