(Of a person, especially a man) courteous and refined in manner: he is charming and urbane a sophisticated, urbane man
More example sentences
- Educated at one of Shanghai's top universities, he's urbane, articulate in English and works in a foreign law firm.
- It was a terrible thing to say, especially since he is an urbane man.
- He was urbane and charming as, indeed, are most members of the Sri Lankan ruling elite.
suave, sophisticated, debonair, worldly, elegant, cultivated, cultured, civilized, well bred, worldly-wise; glib, smooth, slick, polished, refined, poised, self-possessed, dignified; courteous, polite, civil, well mannered, gentlemanly, gallant, courtly, charming, affable, tactful, diplomatic
mid 16th century (in the sense 'urban'): from French urbain or Latin urbanus (see urban).
- More example sentences
- He replied urbanely, ‘I like to look out for the interests of my friends.
- ‘Perhaps I do, Miss Sommers,’ he said urbanely.
- Shane stepped forward urbanely, and Tal did the same.