Definition of urticate in English:
Cause a stinging or prickling sensation like that given by a nettle: (as adjective urticating) the urticating hairs
More example sentences
- The hairs can be shed or inserted by direct contact with potential predators by rubbing the region with urticating hairs.
- By the time I found it, all it's urticating hairs were embedded in my skin.
- Tarantulas also use urticating hairs to establish their territories, and also for making the cocoon.
- Example sentences
- Roman soldiers used urtication, or external stinging, to relieve the pain of arthritis.
- In some but not all patients this was accompanied by diminution of urtication in response to cooling.
- The exact scientific mechanism by which urtication works is still unclear.
Definition of urticate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India