noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
A yellow crystalline compound which is present in many lichens and is used as an antibiotic.
- A tricyclic phenol; chemical formula: C18H16O7
More example sentences
- Bitter orange, aristolochic acid and usnic acid are all used for weight loss.
- Although several synthetic compounds inhibit this key pigment enzyme, the scientists found that usnic acid was over 10 times more effective than others tested.
- I don't know anyone else who's working on the toxicity of usnic acid besides me.
mid 19th century: usnic from medieval Latin usnea (from Arabic ushnah 'moss') + -ic.
Definition of usnic acid in:
- The US English dictionary