1A member of a Turkic people living mainly in the republic of Uzbekistan and also in Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, and Afghanistan.
- They were a representative ethnic mix of the region: Russians, Uzbeks and Kazakhs.
- Uzbek is the language of about twenty million Uzbeks living in Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, and Kazakhstan.
- The Uzbeks are the world's second-largest group of Turkic people (after the Turks of Turkey).
1.1A native or inhabitant of Uzbekistan.
- Uzbeks felt that foreign rulers were being imposed upon them.
- Two Uzbeks, a Kuwaiti and a Saudi national were arrested.
- The Ferghana Valley spans neighbouring Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan, with Uzbeks having strong bonds with the Kyrgyz.
2 [mass noun] The Turkic language of Uzbekistan, having some 16 million speakers.
- Their languages were different - Uzbek and Russian - but they shared the same fear and anger.
- It's pretty much impossible to hold a job unless you speak Uzbek.
- I studied some Uzbek and the grammar is slightly different.
Relating to Uzbekistan, the Uzbeks, or their language.
- But with the loosening of state control in the 1980s, a new generation of writers renewed the Uzbek language and Uzbek themes.
- The forum was attended by producers of fruit and wine, by representatives of Uzbek banks, industry organisations, and tourism associations.
- The picture of this woman selling bread is significant because of the unique role of bread in Uzbek life and cuisine.
The name in Uzbek.
Definition of Uzbek in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.