- 1The action of saying farewell: he lifted his hand and spread his palm in valedictionMore example sentences
- As far as I can tell, codes for friendly valediction seem to be a lot looser in the US.
- Otto simply raised a hand in valediction and spurred his horse on.
- He waved in valediction and closed the door quickly.
- 1.1 [count noun] A statement or address made at or as a farewell: his official memorial valedictionMore example sentences
- Ghost Dance is a book redolent of death and mortality, of eulogies and valedictions.
- I uttered my valedictions, and made my way out of there very, very quickly.
- He had just heard the huntmaster mark the occasion with a sombre valediction, but pledge to continue the tradition of hunting.
mid 17th century: based on Latin vale 'goodbye' + dicere 'to say', on the pattern of benediction.