Definition of valentine in English:
- Strange men followed her in the street, and anonymous valentines, love poems, and long-stemmed red roses in bouquets of a dozen found their way to her door.
- As she seems easily fooled, why not send yourself sheaves of valentines and other billets-doux?
- Sooner or later, we begin to understand that love is more than verses on valentines and romance in the movies.
- You're all I need, my love, my valentine.
- Actually the trick with having a valentine is loving them every OTHER day of the year.
- A young man at a card store before Valentine's Day reading from a card he has picked: ‘… to my darling valentine, my one and only love.’
Valentine was the name of two early Italian martyrs, whose feasts were celebrated on St Valentine's Day, 14 February. It became associated with lovers in the Middle Ages, perhaps because of an old belief that birds mate on that day, perhaps a survival of the pagan fertility festival of Lupercalia celebrated on the 15th.
Words that rhyme with valentineBallantyne
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.