Great courage in the face of danger, especially in battle: the medals are awarded for acts of valour
More example sentences
- This was truly an inspiring example of Indigenous courage, valor, honor, gallantry and self-sacrifice.
- He displayed great valour, courage and determination in the pursuit of his goal.
- He served with honor and distinction in Vietnam, earning several medals for his courage and valor.
bravery, courage, fearlessness, courageousness, braveness, intrepidity, intrepidness, pluck, pluckiness, nerve, backbone, spine, heroism, stout-heartedness, manliness, manfulness, audacity, boldness, gallantry, daring, spirit, fortitude, mettle, dauntlessness, doughtiness, hardihood
vulgar slang balls
Middle English (denoting worth derived from personal qualities or rank): via Old French from late Latin valor, from valere 'be strong'.
- More example sentences
- The principal storyline relates the tale of a supposedly heroic revolutionary general whose valorous military record has contributed greatly to the family's prestige.
- One risks lives to retrieve the dead bodies of one's valorous mates.
- As a nation, are we strong enough to accept valorous defeat over an inhumane victory?