- Weak, short-range electrostatic attractive forces between uncharged molecules, arising from the interaction of permanent or transient electric dipole moments.More example sentences
- The basic idea of the experiment is to suddenly neutralize the layer, so that the attractive van der Waals force will press the bead against the slide.
- The van der Waals force is long range, attractive, and relatively weak.
- His team discovered that van der Waals force helps the gecko's feet stick.
late 19th century: named after Johannes van der Waals (1837–1923), Dutch physicist.
More definitions of van der Waals forcesDefinition of van der Waals forces in:
- The US English dictionary