Definition of vanquish in English:
verb[with object] literary
Defeat thoroughly: he successfully vanquished his rival
More example sentences
- It's all very well to speak of patriotism, of duty and of vanquishing the forces of evil when you're safe in a bunker thousands of miles away from the possibility of action.
- His troops had vanquished their opponents, now the Army and its prisoners were on their way home.
- Council procedures and culture should emphasize discussion and accommodation rather than scoring debater's points and vanquishing one's opponents.
conquer, defeat (utterly), beat (hollow), trounce, annihilate, triumph over, win a resounding victory over, be victorious over, best, get the better of, worst, bring someone to their knees, overcome, overwhelm, subdue, subjugate, put down, quell, quash, crush, repress, rout
informal lick, hammer, clobber, thrash, paste, pound, pulverize, crucify, demolish, destroy, drub, give someone a drubbing, cane, wipe the floor with, walk all over, give someone a hiding, take to the cleaners, blow someone out of the water, make mincemeat of, murder, massacre, slaughter, flatten, turn inside out, tank
British informal stuff
US informal own
- Example sentences
- They discussed the neuroscientific and the behavioural, the syntactical and the imaginative, declared illiteracy to be utterly vanquishable, and showed why some teaching methodology works best.
- It took also any sense I might have had that life and fate were controllable, that evil was vanquishable.
- I will always consider vanquishable the law of diminishing returns.
- Example sentences
- Lacking the fitness and finesse of England's vanquishers, the Edinburgh side soon found the northerners fighting their way back into the game.
- My husband, who has seen this same vanquisher of toothaches, told me tales of a small dark office, all of which made those little bats in my stomach flutter faster.
- It may be illustrative to return to the career of the Emperor Phocus - and that of his vanquisher and successor, the Emperor Heraclius.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan