1A large tank or tub used to hold liquid, especially in industry: a vat of hot tar
More example sentences
- Because of a faulty rail, he fell into a vat of boiling liquid and died three weeks later from his burns.
- Called Raspberry Tart Ale, it introduces Oregon raspberries to the brew which is then fermented spontaneously in large oak vats, giving this liquid dessert incredible color and bouquet.
- A man who was so sure he would die after falling into a vat of caustic soda that he drew up his will is now recovering at home with his wife
2 (also vat dye) A water-insoluble dye, such as indigo, that is applied to a fabric in a reducing bath which converts it to a soluble form, the colour being obtained on subsequent oxidation in the fabric fibres.
- But she said people like the natural vat dyes better, such as indigofera, morinda fruit and root, cashew leaf and teak.
- Other indirect dyes, including vat dyes and sulfur dyes, are insoluble in water.
verb (vats, vatting, vatted)[with object] Back to top
Place or treat in a vat: the grapes are vatted for between 15 and 21 days and then aged in small barrels
More example sentences
- To mark its 175th anniversary, Talisker is issuing a limited edition, specially vatted malt from a few carefully selected casks.
- The factory held three or four bonded warehouses, administrative offices, a bottling plant, a small cooperage, and an enormous vatting and blending operation.
- The last own label whisky I tasted from Asda was awful, but this vatted Islay (a mixture from several distilleries, though they're not saying which) is faultless in quality and price. -
vatful noun (plural vatfuls)
- Example sentences
- However, the first vatfuls put to fermentation are showing good quality, probably due to the low yields.
- Next to films like these most American films are about as stimulating as a vatful of decaf.
- It is desirable to keep such yeasts which remain active and can be used again for the following vatfuls.
Words that rhyme with vatat, bat, brat, cat, chat, cravat, drat, expat, fat, flat, frat, gat, gnat, hat, hereat, high-hat, howzat, lat, mat, matt, matte, Montserrat, Nat, outsat, pat, pit-a-pat, plait, plat, prat, Rabat, rat, rat-tat, Sadat, sat, scat, Sebat, shabbat, shat, skat, slat, spat, splat, sprat, stat, Surat, tat, that, thereat, tit-for-tat, whereat