- An Australian ladybird which has been introduced into California and elsewhere to control scale insects.
More example sentences
- Rodolia cardinalis, family Coccinellidae
- Researchers raised vedalia beetles to use in orchards that had outbreaks of cottony cushion scale.
- The importation of the vedalia beetle was the beginning of the modern era of biological control.
- When vedalia beetles arrive in an orchard they can clean up a nasty problem in 4-6 weeks.
late 19th century: modern Latin Vedalia (former genus name), of unknown origin.