Definition of ventral fin in English:
1 Zoology another term for pelvic fin.
1.1An unpaired fin on the underside of certain fishes.
- They have no pectoral or ventral fins and their dorsal, tail and anal fins are merged into one long fin down the back.
- Haddock are typically cod-like with three dorsal fins and two ventral fins.
- Cod have three dorsal fins and two ventral fins for increased manoeuvrability.
2A single vertical fin under the fuselage or tail of an aircraft.
- IAI and Cyclone Aviation Products Ltd in Carmiel manufacture the ventral fins, rudders, horizontal stabilisers and engine access doors.
- The Impala has a small lipstick camera mounted on the ventral fin to record the visual and audio aspects of your flight.
- A ventral fin was also installed but by the time testing was completed, the Navy had lost interest in the program.
Definition of ventral fin in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan