Definition of vernal in English:
Of, in, or appropriate to spring: the vernal freshness of the land
More example sentences
- Of course, spring has its vernal breezes, thriving greenness, seasonal promises and so on.
- This past spring, I visited one such impermanent place, a vernal pool tucked into the base of Ruffner Mountain.
- The correct Latin term for spring flowering is vernal, as in Leucojum vernum, the spring snowflake, and Crocus vernus, the Dutch crocus.
Mid 16th century: from Latin vernalis, from vernus 'of the spring', from ver 'spring'.
- Example sentences
- Between these extremes we collected in low-mid elevation riparian areas and vernally moist meadows.
- The periphery of vernal pools, seeps, and vernally moist locales are favored by this primitive fern.
- Approximately two acres of vernally significant ephemeral drainages and pools have been noted in the Blue Oak-Gray Pine Woodland.
Words that rhyme with vernalcolonel, diurnal, eternal, external, fraternal, infernal, internal, journal, kernel, maternal, nocturnal, paternal, supernal
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan