1The state of being annoyed, frustrated, or worried: Jenna bit her lip in vexation
More example sentences
- Isly bit her lip in vexation as tears poured down her cheeks.
- Still, there are egregious cases of blatant exploitation of the suffering of victims which apparently evoke no outrage, no vexation among the supporters of the war.
- He's gone back to staring at me, this time with far more vexation and hostility.
annoyance, irritation, irritability, exasperation, anger, rage, fury, temper, bad temper, hot temper, wrath, spleen, chagrin, pique, crossness, indignation, displeasure, discontent, dissatisfaction, disgruntlement, ill humour, peevishness, petulance, testiness, tetchiness, gall, resentment, umbrage;
perturbation, discomposure, worry, agitation, harassment
British informal stroppiness
1.1 [count noun] A cause of annoyance, frustration, or worry: the vexations of life under canvas
More example sentences
- The man seemed to have grasped the essence of standing aloof from worldly anxieties and vexations.
- I began to notice it about 10 years ago, in my early middle age, when the larger vexations of adulthood - don't get me started - were becoming real to me for the first time.
- The technical difficulties encountered in the display of Net-based media are just part of the vexations that plague curators as they attempt to incorporate this work into a gallery setting.
Words that rhyme with vexationablation, aeration, agnation, Alsatian, Amerasian, Asian, aviation, cetacean, citation, conation, creation, Croatian, counterdemonstration, counterproliferation, crustacean, curation, Dalmatian, delation, dilation, donation, duration, elation, fixation, Galatian, geolocation, glocalization, gyration, Haitian, halation, Horatian, ideation, illation, lavation, legation, libation, location, lunation, mutation, natation, nation, negation, notation, nutation, oblation, oration, ovation, potation, relation, rogation, rotation, Sarmatian, sedation, Serbo-Croatian, station, staycation, taxation, Thracian, vacation, vocation, zonation
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vex|ation
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.