Definition of vicariate in English:
1The office or authority of a vicar.
- As churchman, he upheld ecclesiastical discipline in Italy and Dalmatia, maintained authority in the vicariate of Illyricum, restructured the dioceses of his dwindling patriarchate, and laboured to convert Jews and pagan rustics.
- The British vicariate could be an important stage in a fully professional career, and the men in the post of whom we know were not mediocrities.
- It is difficult to know how well the urban vicariate of Baltimore reflects the behavior and attitudes of parishioners outside the study population.
1.1A church or parish ministered to by a vicar.
- The diocese now has five vicariates (Ooty, Coonoor, Gudalur, Sathy and Thalavady).
- He urged Church reform on the Merovingians, reviving the vicariate of Arles at their request.
- Last January our relatively new archbishop began a series of meetings in each vicariate with the priests, deacons, religious, and parishioners.
Definition of vicariate in:
- US English dictionary