Definition of vicious in English:
- This was a cowardly, savage and vicious attack on a man who was utterly helpless.
- It was a brutal, vicious and pitiless attack in which you showed your victim no mercy.
- The tabloids violated my family's privacy in a manner that I felt was vicious and indecent.
- It seems I am now safely in my home, far from the menacing arms of the vicious beast which drove me from the wild!
- Bloodstained snow, heavy cloaks, blackened eyes, Indian rites, puritanical fire and brimstone and the ominous howl of vicious wolf beasts.
- I would like to warn cat owners about a vicious dog in the Long Ditton area.
- The race officer used great imagination, setting several angles across the lake, but conditions were difficult with vicious squalls and considerable wind shifts.
- A person can be successfully evil only if he or she can embody a peculiarly nasty blend of vicious evil and laudable good.
- As aggressive as enemy soldiers in the ‘Great War’, the flu proved a vicious killer.
- What had made me smile was his vicious and vile bigotry.
- As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters.
- Satan, who represents Evil, the utterly vicious, is yet not a monster because he also fits absolutely into a certain moral universe, a certain symbolic order.
vice from (Middle English):
In the sense of immorality vice is from Latin vitium ‘vice’, also the source of vicious (Middle English). This originally meant ‘showing vice’ but was extended to mean ‘savage’ in descriptions of bad-tempered horses (early 18th century), and later (early 19th century) to mean ‘spiteful’. The tool sense was originally a word for a screw or winch that comes via Old French vis, from Latin vitis ‘vine’ from the spiral growth of the vine's tendrils.
- Example sentences
- So this is a man who can turn viciously on people who don't act in a moral way that he thinks is appropriate.
- Two young men are still fighting for life after being viciously beaten in separate night attacks in Cork.
- A gang of thugs viciously assaulted a teenager with a ninja weapon having chased him through the town centre.
- Example sentences
- Men who practice viciousness and vileness are shown no mercy by the gods.
- Despite the sheer viciousness of the anthrax-letter attacks, the actual impact on public health was and is small.
- Their attempt to quietly kill all mention of their society's history of viciousness and race hatred and their part in it has failed.
Words that rhyme with viciousadventitious, Aloysius, ambitious, auspicious, avaricious, capricious, conspicuous, delicious, expeditious, factitious, fictitious, flagitious, judicious, lubricious, malicious, Mauritius, meretricious, nutritious, officious, pernicious, propitious, repetitious, seditious, siliceous, superstitious, suppositious, surreptitious, suspicious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.