Definition of vigilant in English:
Keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties: the burglar was spotted by vigilant neighbours
More example sentences
- He also urged individuals to be vigilant in watching for offenders and to report them to their local councillor.
- As women we need to remain vigilant and watch how our South African Constitution is put into practice.
- We must keep alert and vigilant to the future plans of the developers.
watchful, on the lookout, observant, sharp-eyed, keen-eyed, gimlet-eyed, eagle-eyed, hawk-eyed, with eyes like a hawk, with one's eyes open, keeping one's eyes peeled/skinned, attentive, paying attention, alert, on the alert, on one's toes, on the qui vive;
awake, wide awake, unsleeping, on one's guard, on guard, concentrating, careful, cautious, wary, chary, circumspect, prudent, heedful, mindful;
- Example sentences
- But those of us who disagree should vigilantly watch for, and resist, the ‘displacement of constitutional hegemony’ that the article welcomes.
- Classicism holds sway even in this debate: it has been an ideological service worker vigilantly cleaning up, heroicizing and aestheticizing violences and hatreds.
- What's most curious is that the people who advocate abstinence in other countries are generally the same people who vigilantly refuse to allow discussion of the subject in the United States.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan