Keeping careful watch for possible danger or difficulties: the burglar was spotted by vigilant neighbours
More example sentences
- He also urged individuals to be vigilant in watching for offenders and to report them to their local councillor.
- As women we need to remain vigilant and watch how our South African Constitution is put into practice.
- We must keep alert and vigilant to the future plans of the developers.
watchful, on the lookout, observant, sharp-eyed, keen-eyed, gimlet-eyed, eagle-eyed, hawk-eyed, with eyes like a hawk, with one's eyes open, keeping one's eyes peeled/skinned, attentive, paying attention, alert, on the alert, on one's toes, on the qui vive; awake, wide awake, unsleeping, on one's guard, on guard, concentrating, careful, cautious, wary, chary, circumspect, prudent, heedful, mindful; prepared, ready
late 15th century: from Latin vigilant- 'keeping awake', from the verb vigilare, from vigil (see vigil).
- More example sentences
- But those of us who disagree should vigilantly watch for, and resist, the ‘displacement of constitutional hegemony’ that the article welcomes.
- Classicism holds sway even in this debate: it has been an ideological service worker vigilantly cleaning up, heroicizing and aestheticizing violences and hatreds.
- What's most curious is that the people who advocate abstinence in other countries are generally the same people who vigilantly refuse to allow discussion of the subject in the United States.