1 Anatomy (Of a structure, especially the epithelium) covered with villi.
- In some instances, multiple tissues from individual specimen were analyzed, including amniotic membrane, chorionic membrane, chorionic villous stroma, and trophoblast, as well as fetal tissues.
- This can be because of the material itself (sorbitol, lactose, etc) or due to disruption of the villous structure of the small intestine.
- Gluten causes the intestinal mucosa to lose its villous structure and absorptive capacity.
1.1 Medicine (Of a condition) affecting the villi: villous atrophy
More example sentences
- From the data presented in Table 3, it appears that a close interlesional association exists between HEV and villitis of unknown etiology, fetal-placental vessel thrombi, villous fibrosis, and erythroblastosis.
- Primary Infarcts.-Discrete areas of ischemic villous necrosis (primary infarcts) reflect obstruction to maternal - placental blood flow.
- Results.-Lesions that were frequently coexistent in HEV-affected placentas included villitis of unknown etiology, chorionic thrombi, villous fibrosis, erythroblastosis, and primary infarcts.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vil|lous
Definition of villous in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.