Definition of villus in English:
noun (plural villi ˈvɪlʌɪˈvɪliː)Anatomy
1Any of numerous minute elongated projections set closely together on a surface, in particular:
- Mutants were observed as non-staining ribbons on the surface of the villus.
- And the tiny hair-like projections on the cells - the villi (VIL-li) - shrink and may even disappear.
- The colon can be identified by its size and the absence of mucosal folds and villi; the inner surface is smooth.
1.1A finger-like projection of the lining of the small intestine.
- The inner lining of the large intestine lacks the villi that characterize the small intestine.
- The lining of the small intestine is folded into finger-like projections, the villi, and deeper glands, the crypts.
- They are absorbed by the villi of the small intestine and carried by the portal vein to the liver.
Early 18th century: from Latin, literally 'shaggy hair'.
- Example sentences
- On opening, the colon revealed numerous wormlike or villiform polyps covering almost the entire segment of the sigmoid colon.
- In some areas the mucosa lining the cyst had a slightly villiform appearance, whereas elsewhere it was flattened and simplified.
- Although the neoplasm contained numerous capillary-sized vessels, clefted spaces and villiform structures were not apparent.
- Example sentences
- The villose spineflower occurs from Point Reyes in Marin Co., California, to Bodega Bay in Sonoma Co.
- It is easily recognized by its long, stiff (villose) hairs for which it received its specific epithet.
- Flowers in fascicles, pedicels long, slender and villose, 1-5 flowers per inflorescence, 15-25 mm long, calyx obconic and four-ribbed, 4-lobed, white, campanulate, contracted into a stigmatic apex, stamens 8-16; flowers appear March to May.
Definition of villus in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan