- 1 [as submodifier] Nearly; almost: the disease destroyed virtually all the vineyards in Orange County the college became virtually bankruptMore example sentences
in effect, effectively, all but, more or less, practically, almost, nearly, close to, approaching, not far from, nearing, verging on, bordering on, well nigh, nigh on, just about, as good as, essentially, in essence, in practical terms, for all practical purposes, to all intents and purposes, in all but name, as near as dammit; roughly, approximately, not quite; South African plus-minus
- The building was virtually destroyed in the blaze, which broke out late on Saturday night.
- They headed out before the nightclub closed, which was virtually a first for Mac.
- Olive had found the meadow quite charming and had virtually claimed it as her own.
- 2By means of virtual reality techniques.More example sentences
- On the other, the community is only virtually there, and disappears with the flick of a button.
- 2.1By means of a computer; computationally.More example sentences
- Pretty much any control button found on a handheld console can be imitated virtually on screen.