noun (singular viscus)
- The internal organs in the main cavities of the body, especially those in the abdomen, e.g. the intestines.More example sentences
- Chemical examination of the abdominal viscera and of the gastric and intestinal content failed to disclose the presence of alcohol or any other poison.
- Although rare, a large gallstone in the gallbladder will sometimes erode through the gallbladder wall into an adjacent viscus, usually the duodenum.
- The weight of the abdominal viscera and adipose tissue pressed on the diaphragm, resulting in decreased chest volume.
mid 17th century: from Latin, plural of viscus (see viscus).
More definitions of visceraDefinition of viscera in:
- The US English dictionary