- The greatest volume of air that can be expelled from the lungs after taking the deepest possible breath.More example sentences
- Residual volume was calculated by subtracting the vital capacity from the total lung capacity, determined by the pressure-volume maneuver.
- The authors conclude that the ratio of residual volume to total lung capacity is the major determinant of the increase in forced vital capacity achieved by lung volume reduction surgery.
- If a valid measurement of vital capacity is needed for clinical decision-making, then the vital capacity should be measured slowly and separately from forced expiratory maneuvers.
More definitions of vital capacityDefinition of vital capacity in:
- The US English dictionary