- 1The practice of performing operations on live animals for the purpose of experimentation or scientific research (used only by opponents of such work): the abolition of vivisectionMore example sentences
- One commenter has even suggested Aaron's lack of posting on animal vivisection in the past somehow means he is being hypocritical now.
- The collection on ‘Protecting’ includes vivid protests against vivisection and cruelty to animals.
- Still other revisions seek to update Animal Farm by cleverly linking it to topics such as animal rights and vivisection.
- 1.1Ruthlessly sharp and detailed criticism or analysis: the vivisection of America’s seamy underbellyMore example sentences
- Although Hirschberg is famous for turning celebrity profiles into celebrity vivisections, her portrait of Seinfeld was basically a Valentine.
- More example sentences
- Apparently pitched into a renegade research institute where vivisectionists are investigating what makes man tick, the audience are never sure whether they are visitors or subjects as they are herded about in darkness.
- Our English vivisectionists study in the schools of the Continent, and in several cases have brought over foreigners to be their assistants at home.
- Many writers have already discussed vivisection in great depth, but I hope I can give you another angle - that of a vivisectionist.
early 18th century: from Latin vivus 'living', on the pattern of dissection.
More definitions of vivisectionDefinition of vivisection in:
- The US English dictionary