Definition of vivisection in English:
1The practice of performing operations on live animals for the purpose of experimentation or scientific research (used only by opponents of such work): the abolition of vivisection
More example sentences
- One commenter has even suggested Aaron's lack of posting on animal vivisection in the past somehow means he is being hypocritical now.
- The collection on ‘Protecting’ includes vivid protests against vivisection and cruelty to animals.
- Still other revisions seek to update Animal Farm by cleverly linking it to topics such as animal rights and vivisection.
- Example sentences
- Apparently pitched into a renegade research institute where vivisectionists are investigating what makes man tick, the audience are never sure whether they are visitors or subjects as they are herded about in darkness.
- Our English vivisectionists study in the schools of the Continent, and in several cases have brought over foreigners to be their assistants at home.
- Many writers have already discussed vivisection in great depth, but I hope I can give you another angle - that of a vivisectionist.
Pronunciation: /ˌvɪvɪˈsɛkʃ(ə)nɪst/noun& adjective
Early 18th century: from Latin vivus 'living', on the pattern of dissection.
Words that rhyme with vivisectionabjection, affection, circumspection, collection, complexion, confection, connection, convection, correction, defection, deflection, dejection, detection, direction, ejection, election, genuflection, imperfection, infection, inflection, injection, inspection, insurrection, interconnection, interjection, intersection, introspection, lection, misdirection, objection, perfection, predilection, projection, protection, refection, reflection, rejection, resurrection, retrospection, section, selection, subjection, transection
Definition of vivisection in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.