Definition of volatilize in English:
(With reference to a substance) make or become volatile: [with object]: the sulphur dioxide added before fermentation has already been volatilized figurative the novel has volatilized the essence of New England thought into wreaths of spiritual beauty [no object]: mercury volatilizes and is condensed in earthenware receivers
More example sentences
- All of the jewelers used compressed-gas torches to heat-manipulate metals; in the process, metals were volatilized and subsequently condensed on nearby surfaces.
- When the trichomes were fully developed, the compounds were volatilized and only residues were responsible for an orange fluorescence in the cell wall area.
- Essential oils can be distinguished from fatty oils because they can be volatilised by heat and will evaporate.
- Example sentences
- As the water in the boiler is being heated to produce steam, any volatilizable chemical components present in the water will boil off and combine with the steam being evolved.
- The main object of coking is to free the bituminous coal from impurities water, hydrocarbons and volatilizable sulphur - leaving in the coke fixed carbon, ash, and the non-volatilizable sulphur.
- It is obviously inapplicable to substances whose virtues depend in any considerable degree upon readily volatilizable constituents.
- Example sentences
- Temperatures of 30°C and higher result in the loss of much of the fruity ester complex through hydrolysis and volatilization and its replacement by substances which smell ‘cooked’.
- In contrast, many of us are familiar with the pleasant smell of a good whisky or brandy, which also results from the volatilization of certain organic molecules.
- Urea and nitrogen solutions can lose nitrogen to the atmosphere through ammonia volatilization when surface-applied to high residue soils.
Pronunciation: /vəlatɪlʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/ /vɒlətɪlʌɪˈzeɪʃ(ə)n/noun
Definition of volatilize in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.