1A game for two teams, usually of six players, in which a large ball is hit by hand over a high net, the aim being to score points by making the ball reach the ground on the opponent’s side of the court.
- The Zambia team will compete in several events among them volleyball, netball, table tennis and swimming.
- In addition, Sydney fielded teams in soccer, volleyball, basketball and rugby.
- These include track events for athletes and team events in netball, soccer and volleyball.
1.1 [count noun] The inflated ball used in volleyball.
- Don't come at me with a volleyball because all I have to do is STAND THERE and my team will win.
- He finds a volleyball in a parcel and names it Wilson, talking to it as if it were human.
- Whether or not you can spike a mean volleyball, there is a lot to be said for being tall.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: vol¦ley|ball
Definition of volleyball in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.