noun (plural volvuli /ˈvɒlvjʊlʌɪ, -liː/ or volvuluses)Medicine
- An obstruction caused by twisting of the stomach or intestine: [mass noun]: caecal volvulusMore example sentences
- Complications can include volvulus, intestinal obstruction, infarction, perforation, and hemorrhage.
- Postoperatively, the patient had a distal intestinal obstruction requiring reduction of a volvulus.
- Causes of intestinal obstruction include volvulus, intussusception, incarcerated hernia, and postoperative adhesions.
late 17th century: modern or medieval Latin, from Latin volvere 'to roll'.
More definitions of volvulusDefinition of volvulus in:
- The US English dictionary