Definition of vowel in English:
1A speech sound which is produced by comparatively open configuration of the vocal tract, with vibration of the vocal cords but without audible friction, and which is a unit of the sound system of a language that forms the nucleus of a syllable. Contrasted with consonant.
- After blending consonants and vowels, syllables are blended into words and words are used in meaningful sentences.
- The language recodes the vowels and consonants of individual Spanish words into whistles.
- What specialists like Liberman are schooled in, is the rules for sound-shifts in vowels and consonants in any language across the centuries.
1.1A letter representing a vowel sound, such as a, e, i, o, u.
- The vowel letter e can represent a variety of sounds.
- The Lao alphabet also has 38 vowel symbols, representing 24 vowel sounds.
- While the consonant cards each represent a single letter, the vowel cards give a choice of two vowels and the wild cards represent any letter.
vowelled (US voweled) adjective
- [usually in combination]: her deep-vowelled Russian pronunciationMore example sentences
- The rhythm and the vowelled music of the long recitative presently acted upon one as a soporific.
- The vowel i is considered neutral and can therefore occur in both front and back voweled words, but when i occurs in all syllables the word is considered to be front voweled.
- Example sentences
- Unlike English, it wouldn't be a savings even in the long run, because once you gain experience in Hebrew, vowelless text is simpler and easier.
- It is the property of any vowelless consonant to get help from the consonant next to it as if that is a vowel and thus creating a conjunct.
- Frank Longo's vowelless puzzle in the Sun last October didn't take me nearly as long - I'm going to chalk that up to sleepiness.
- Example sentences
- Onomatopoeia is that vowelly word where the meaning sounds like what it is.
- He sounds like an actor with a vowelly shopping-mall accent, and I never fully believed him.
- Lots of vowelly sounds and the expression control is good.
Definition of vowel in:
- US English dictionary