1A person or animal, especially a bird, that wades, in particular:
- Had good birding around the township area particularly of waders & waterfowls, however the Pied kingfishers were nowhere to be seen this time.
- The Hunter Bird Observers Club has been monitoring migratory waders for the last five years to understand how they use the estuary.
- Potentially many species can get infected but the mostly likely carriers are waterfowl, waders and gulls.
1.1chiefly British A wading bird of the order Charadriiformes, which comprises the sandpipers, plovers, and related birds. Also called shorebird, especially in North America.
- The meadows are also important for breeding waders including redshank and curlew.
- A giant among waders, the curlew is unmistakable with long bill and legs.
- When I began birding three waders: lapwing, redshank and snipe were all common breeders in many areas of Norfolk.
1.2chiefly North American A wading bird of the order Ciconiiformes, which comprises the herons, storks, and ibises.
- At Laurel Hill, you can spot waders such as herons, egrets, bitterns and glossy ibis, and predators such as ospreys, hawks, falcons and owls, with even the occasional bald eagle.
- In waders and shorebirds, which have large eggs for their body size, clutches are usually limited to a maximum of four eggs.
- In addition to rare plants and wildflowers, you'll find hawks and ospreys lining the river and a host of waders along the shoreline.
2 (waders) High waterproof boots, or a waterproof garment for the legs and body, used especially by anglers when fishing.
- If the weather turns rough, your guide can no doubt fit you up with waterproof clothing and waders.
- When moving around a stream or river in waders, the angler should carry as little equipment as possible and slide feet forward, not step, to avoid losing balance.
- More so than any lure or rod and reel, or even watertight waders, the greatest ally of any angler hoping to catch a huge trout is patience.
Words that rhyme with waderabrader, Ada, blockader, crusader, dissuader, evader, fader, grader, Grenada, invader, masquerader, Nader, parader, persuader, raider, Rigveda, Seder, serenader, trader, upgrader, Veda
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: wader
Definition of wader in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.