- 1Prepare for physical exertion or a performance by exercising or practising gently beforehand: the band were warming upMore example sentences
- Next, students practice warming up exercises in unison.
- It is important that you warm up gently before you start any exercises and do not strain at all.
- Be sure to warm up and stretch before exercising.
- 1.1(Of an engine or electrical appliance) reach a temperature high enough to allow it to operate efficiently: the television takes a while to warm upMore example sentences
- By this time the truck's engine has warmed up enough to allow a shift up into second gear, then third and finally fourth - or top gear.
- This allows the engine to warm up faster, cutting exhaust emissions, and reduces fuel consumption by about 3 percent because it is not geared to the engine.
- Check that the tyre pressures are correct, the brakes are in good working order and that the engine warms up as quickly as possible.
More definitions of warm upDefinition of warm up in:
- The US English dictionary