- A predatory water bug that runs on the surface film of water, related to the pond skater but with shorter legs.
More example sentences
- Family Veliidae, suborder Heteroptera: several genera, in particular Velia
- Every few seconds a water cricket would go up to one of the whirligigs and touch it, causing the beetle to swim away only to be met by another cricket.
- Other creatures inhabiting the surface film of bog pools are pond skaters, water measurers and water crickets.
- I'm used to water crickets because I have some in my basement, but not this big.